Operating from around 1875 until its closure in 1968, Gwili Mill
was the longest running woollen mill in Llanpumsaint. Using the fast flowing river Gwili as its source of power,
the mill produced goods for markets, fairs, industrial outlets and wholesalers.
As late as 1947, Gorseinon based TW Jones and Sons employed no less than 12 people here, making
flannel, cartheni and tweed.
In the 1920s when there was a great slump in demand for the woollen products that the mill produced,
it survived unlike many of its competitors because of the foresight of its then owners, James and James Owen
who spent money updating the machinery to make the mill more competitive.
When it finally closed in 1968, the rhythmic sounds of the machines and distinctive smells which
wafted over the schoolyard were gone forever.