Llanpumsaint school opened its doors for the first time in January
1863 to 73 pupils divided into 4 classes. Within a week, as news spread, the number of pupils had increased to
The school owes its existence to a local boy, William Williams brought up on Tredarren Farm
on the outskirts of the village. He moved to London, made his fortune and became a Member of Parliament.
Education was one the causes which he embraced within parliament and indeed outside of it as
he donated the money for the school building and a house for the master. He stated that teaching in the new school
should be conducted 'upon strictly unsectarian principles' so that both children from church and chapel families
could benefit from an education.
The sustantial stone building was made to last and still serves as a school today.
In March 2013, the school celebrated its 150th anniversary with over 200 ex-pupils attending
the celebration. A book of reminiscences was produced to commemorate the event.