Before the industrial revolution brought mechanisation to the woollen
industry, there existed a number of cottage industries within the village fulling wool and manufacturing woollen
One of the busiest was Penrhiwfach at the eastern edge of the parish. In 1841, Thomas Evans
was the head of a family business employing his two sons as apprentices and his daughter Ann as a seamstress.
They are later joined by two employees, one making ladies' cloaks
and the other a stocking knitter.
By 1851, Penrhiwfach had been divided into three parts - a hive of activity.