The original Ffynnonhenri Chapel was built in 1735 on the site of the present
Vestry. It was the first Baptist chapel in Carmarthenshire, built out of necessity in a remote spot, at a time
when Baptists were persecuted and jailed for their beliefs.
By 1768, attitudes to non-conformism had softened and the chapel in Priory Street, Carmarthen
was established as an off-shoot of Ffynnonhenri, which was re-built in its present location in 1774.
Ffynnonhenri was hugely influential with its adherence to strict Calvinism and was responsible
for the foundation of half a dozen chapels in West Wales including Caersalem in Llanpumsaint village.
The most famous and popular preacher was Dafydd Ifans who was ordained in 1811. Under his ministry,
the number of church members soared to 400 and he served the chapel for 55 years until his death in 1866. He
is buried in the cemetery near the stream which was used to baptise the faithful.